Acha Leke. Picture sourced from McKinsey.
|Born||1970 (age 50–51)|
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Occupation||Senior partner and Chairman of McKinsey & Company|
|Known for||Co-founding African Leadership Network and African Leadership Academy|
Editor: Temoso Sebetha
Acha Leke is a senior partner at McKinsey & Company and Chairman of its Africa practice, a global management consulting firm which works with organisations across the private, public, and social sectors; and he is also the Chairman of its Africa region.
Leke is the co-founder of the African Leadership Network, a network of African leaders aiming to bring prosperity to the African continent. He is also the co-founder and a board member of the African Leadership Academy, a co-educational boarding school that seeks to transform Africa by developing a network of the next generation of African leaders.
Furthermore, he is a member of ONE’s Africa Policy Advisory Board, a regular forum for many of ONE's friends and advisors discussing the pressing issues of the African continent. He is also the member of the Lagos Business School Advisory Board, consisting of renowned business leaders of indigenous and multinational companies operating in Nigeria.
Leke is a member of the Pan-African Advisory team appointed by President Paul Kagame of Rwanda to assist with a review of the African Union.
He is also a co-author of “Africa’s Business Revolution: How to Succeed in the World’s Next Big Growth Market”, published in November 2018 by Harvard Business Review (HBR) Press.
Leke was born in 1970 in Cameroon and when he was about six months old, his family left Cameroon and relocated to Montreal. At the age of ten, he returned back to Cameroon’s capital city, Yaoundé.
Furthermore, his parents were both medical students with his father being a gynaecologist and his mother an immunologist. Leke married Swaady Martin Leke who is an Ivorian entrepreneur.
At the age of 16, Leke left Cameroon for Belgium to complete his high school education.
Leke studied in Atlanta completing a diploma in Electrical Engineering from 1991 to 1994, then a PhD in Electrical Engineering at the Stanford University in California, as well as the equivalent of an MBA.
He decided to do a summer internship with McKinsey in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1998, during his grad school at Stanford University. In1999, at the end of his PhD, Leke rejoined the firm full time at their Atlanta office.
In 2002 he was transferred back to Johannesburg to assist in expanding the firm’s activities across Sub-Saharan Africa.
In 2010, Leke relocated to Lagos, Nigeria, to open up the firm’s newly established office and he returned back to Johannesburg in 2014.
In 2008, Leke was appointed as Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum. 
In 2010, his book “Lion on the move: The progress and potential of African economies” was named the best initiative that promoted Africa as an investment destination. The book has been featured in publications such as The Economist and The Wall Street Journal.
In 2018, Leke led the McKinsey Firm’s Public and Social Sector Practice in Africa and was also the Senior Partner in charge of Global Recruiting for McKinsey worldwide.
Awards and Recognitions
In 2008, Leke was recognised as Africa’s Young Investment Professional of the year at the Africa Investor Awards.
In 2010, he was named one of the top 40 men under 40 in South Africa at the Destiny Man Awards.
In 2014, he was recognised as one of the Top 20 Rising Stars in Africa by Euromoney.
In 2016, Leke was named as one of the 10 youngest most powerful men in Africa.
In 2019, he was named as one of the top 100 movers and shakers in Africa by Les Afriques, one of Africa’s leading financial journals.
- Featured Speaker – World Bank Live. Retrieved 02 September, 2020.
- How to Succeed in the World’s Next Big Growth Market – Endeavor Nigeria. Retrieved 02 September, 2020.
- Works with key public, private, and social sector institutions to accelerate growth and development in Africa - McKinsey & Company. Retrieved 02 September, 2020.
- Africa Policy Advisory Board – One. Retrieved 03 September, 2020.
- Advisory Board – Lagos Business School. Retrieved 03 September, 2020.
- AU Reforms Report: Building a more relevant African Union – African Union. Retrieved 03 September, 2020.
- / How Business Can Accelerate Africa’s Development – Stanford Social Innovation Review. Retrieved 15 September, 2020.
- Acha Leke Biography – HashtagSquare. Retrieved 07 September, 2020.
- Five hot power couples you should know – The Voix. Retrieved 10 September, 2020.
- Is he the most connected man in Africa? – Ozy. Retrieved 08 September, 2020.
- Leke, consulting services - Medium. Retrieved 13 September, 2020.
- Interview with Acha Leke, Senior Partner at McKinsey Africa – African Business Magazine. Retrieved 18 September, 2020.
- Get To Know: Acha Leke, McKinsey Africa – Africa Com. Retrieved 07 September, 2020.
- Acha Leke, Consulting Services - Medium. Retrieved 06 September, 2020.
- Acha Leke: the Cameroonian who is training the African elite of tomorrow! – Africa Top Success. Retrieved 17 September, 2020.
- Acha Leke – Topio Network. Retrieved 17 September, 2020.
- About Acha Leke – LinkedIn. Retrieved 19 September, 2020.
- Ai Financial Reporting Awards – African Investor. Retrieved 17 September, 2020.
- Acha Leke – Business Day. Retrieved 20 September, 2020.
- Meet Africa's rising stars – Euromoney. Retrieved 19 September, 2020.
- The 10 youngest most powerful men in Africa 2016 – Rising Africa. Retrieved 18 September, 2020.
- The 100 most influential Africans (31-40) – The African Report. Retrieved 19 September, 2020.