Bilikiss Adebiyi-Abiola, founder and CEO of WeCyclers.
|Born||1983 (age 36–37)|
|Alma mater||Fisk University, Vanderbilt University, MIT|
|Occupation||CEO of WeCyclers|
|Known for||founding WeCyclers|
Editor: Marthia Keorapetse
Bilikiss Adebiyi-Abiola is the founder and CEO of WeCyclers, a household recycling service using a fleet of low-cost cargo bikes. WeCyclers aims to empower social change by using the environment and allowing people in low-income communities to capture value from their waste.
Bilikiss Adebiyi-Abiola was born in 1983 in Lagos, Nigeria. She attended the Supreme Education Foundation Secondary school. Adebiyi then went on to study Law at the University of Lagos for a year but left to complete her studies in the United States of America. She earned her bachelor of science in Computer Science at Fisk University in 2003 and then went on to Vanderbilt University where she graduated with a master's degree in Computer Science in 2005.
In 2005 to 2010, Adebiyi worked for IBM as a computer programmer before deciding to study further. She was accepted to study for a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Adebiyi is also a Carrol Wilson Fellow and an Echoing Green Fellow.
It was in Adebiyi’s second year at MIT where she first came up with the idea of starting a recycling business. Adebiyi was studying waste as a specialist subject. When there were no classes, she went to Nigeria to see her family and ended up doing a project on waste management. The idea was to ask people to turn in their waste for an opportunity to qualify for a raffle draw and win various items. When Adebiyi returned to MIT, she mentioned her idea and was able to gather support by entering it in competitions.. In starting WeCyclers, Adebiyi was inspired to work on finding a solution to the problem of waste management in Nigeria.
Achievements and Awards
Since the inception of WeCyclers, Adebiyi has received a number of awards. In 2013 she received the Cartier Woman’s Initiative Awards where she was selected as a laureate and received a cash prize of $20,000.
In 2016, Adebiyi was recognised as a Quartz African Innovator. She was named as one of the 2016 Ventures Africa 42 African Innovators to Watch; and she was identified as one of Africa’s Top five Entrepreneurs in the Waste Recycling Business by Smallstarter, in addition to being honoured as one of 20 African Women with Powerful and Inspiring Voices by Applause Africa.
In 2017, Adebiyi was appointed as the General Manager of the Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency (LASPARK). LASPARK aims to make Lagos greener and healthier through the creation and maintenance of operational parks and gardens, planting and maintenance of trees.
In 2017, Bilikiss and WeCyclers won the Le Monde, Smart Cities Innovations Grand Prize.
- WeCyclers, “Service” Retrieved 20 May, 2019
- [https://risenetworks.org/yotw/bilikiss-adebiyi-abiola-ceo-of-wecyclers-is-rise-youth-of-the-week/ Risenetworks, “Bilikiss Adebiyi Abiola CEO of Wecyclers Is Rise Youth Of The Week” Retrieved 20 May, 2019
- [https://risenetworks.org/yotw/bilikiss-adebiyi-abiola-ceo-of-wecyclers-is-rise-youth-of-the-week/ Risenetwork, “Bilikiss Adebiyi Abiola CEO of Wecyclers Is Rise Youth Of The Week” Retrieved 20 May, 2019
- [https://laspark.ng/principal-officers/ Laspark, “Achievements” Retrieved 20 July, 2019
- https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/adebiyi-abiola-new-face-of-waste-management-in-nigeria/ Guardian, Published 2 August, 2015 “Adebiyi Abiola New Face Of Waste Management In Nigeria” Retrieved “25 May, 2019”
- [https://sustyvibes.com/recycle-story-wecyclers/ Sustyvibes, “Recycle Story” Retrieved 25 July, 2019
- [https://www.cartierwomensinitiative.com/story/bilikiss-adebiyi-abiola Cartier, “Awards” Retrieved 30 July, 2019
- [https://laspark.ng/principal-officers/ Laspark, “Awards” Retrieved 29 July, 2019
- [http://blog.wecyclers.com/tag/laspark/ Wecyclers, Published “Laspark” Retrieved 25 July, 2019
- [https://laspark.lagosstate.gov.ng/ Laspark, “Lagos State” Retrieved 29 July, 2019
- [http://www.lionessesofafrica.com/blog/2017/6/3/nigerian-ecopreneur-bilikiss-adebiyi-and-her-company-wecyclers-wins-the-smart-cities-innovation-awards-grand-prize-le-monde-2017 Lioness of Africa, Published 3 June, 2017 “Nigerian Eco-preneur Bilikiss Adebiyi and Her Company Wecyclers” Retrieved 26 July, 2019